Saturday, December 7, 2019

I LOVE MYSELF - Chapter 2

Two months passed and I started feeling myself. Just a little. My cheeks look smaller, my face gets slimmer, my pants get down by one size. It’s just a beginning. But my anxieties is still here. I’m not satisfied yet. Why don’t I get results sooner? Like right now? This can’t do, I have to think of other way.
“Honey, don’t you have to go to school?” Mom called. “Have your breakfast quickly or Quinn will leave without you.”
Ugh, what’ll I do? I don’t feel like to eat. Okay, eat it in a big chunk, go to the toilet, throw it all up then go to school. All in fifteen minutes or Mom will be suspicious.
“I’m coming!”
I press my sandwich with all my might, make it as thin as possible then eat it in one go. I take my drink with me, back to my room running.
“Wha…?” Mom opened her eyes widely, following my shadow. She must be wondering what I was doing. “Why did you eat like that? You’re gonna choke.”
“I forgot my homework. Don’t disturb me.” That was what I was saying but I don’t know what my mom heard because of my full mouth and I don’t care. I have to be quick.
What do I do? Mom will hear my gag. Turn up my music before I go to school? Uh I can’t be bothered by that. Open the tap will be better. Quick, quick, quick.

One flush down and I’m done. Just in the right time I hear Quinn’s car’s honked. I swoop my books to my bag and run to the door.
“Mom! I’m leaving for school.” I shouted, didn’t know where she was. I can hear “Bye” faintly from somewhere.
Opening the car door, I bump it on my knees. “Morning, sunshine,” I greeted Quinn and Riley. “Where’s Aria? At school already?”
“She’ll be late. Something came up,” answered Riley, hummed to the beat of the audio. Some K-Pop song I don’t familiar with, new song or new group I guess.
Quinn watch me from the rear mirror. “Are you okay? Day by day you look paler.” She flicked the left sign lamp on and passed two cars at once. “You have pale skin, I envy you, but now you look like a vampire. A few more days you’ll be disappeared with the sun rises.”
“Oh, come on, Quinn, don’t tease her.” Strangely, both of them switched roles. Quinn became the assassin and Riley became my savior. “Maybe she got some problems and was not ready to spill it with us yet.”
The car stopped at the traffic lights. “You know I’m right. She is thin like a piece of paper. She has health problem, Riley.”
“Don’t be too harsh,” Riley turned her body facing Quinn. “You’re right about that but sometimes let her think about it, find the solution to solve it herself, you know. For developing someone’s self. Don’t push her.”
“But…” Riley giving codes to Quinn to shut her mouth, Quinn didn’t give up though. “But she needs our help.”
“Hello, guys, I’m here. I can listen to all of your bantering.” I showed my head from the back seat. “I appreciated it if you talk directly to me. Anything but my health.” I gave my best mocking smile. “So stop worrying about my health. I’m okay.”
The car enter school parking lot and get the usual place, in front of the library, below the willow tree. We get out of the car and meet up with Aria. She was leaned in the main stairs, wearing her jersey and holding her favorite ball.
Crap. I forgot to bring my shoes and clothes. Today we’re supposed to practice for the regional competition. Basketball is my life and I rarely seen without my shoes bag. I always remember things but I’m now forgetting it little by little.
I haven’t finished my group project assignment and yesterday we were being punished. My group blamed me for that and I bet nobody wants to be in the same group with me. Last week I broke the figurine that Aria loved so much when we played at her house. My head was throbbed and I put it on her desk. Unfortunately, as I stood up I bumped my knee and that figurine fell down. Aria’s scream at that time could deafen any ears within one kilometer.
What more?
Oh, right. On Monday’s practice I accepted Aria’s pass with my face. I shot my ball into the wrong basket. I tripped my own feet when Aria passed the ball to me. I threw the ball to the audience bench direction, thinking someone was there, ready to accept my ball. The awesome Aria witnessed it all.
Now, it involves Aria again. And I’m a dead meat.
Aria squinting at my direction. “Where’s your shoes? Don’t tell me you left it at home thinking today is not practice day.”
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bonbin